Monday, March 7, 2011

School Spirit

School Spirit

I'm about to become a "Western Washington University Alumni" and it started me thinking, what did Western offer me besides a (in my opinion) kick ass education? I've been going there for two years and the only thing i've done outside of going to class is play intramural sports. I've never been to a basketball game and thanks to our (insert sarcastic angry tone) lovely athletic director, never had a chance to go to a football game. In fact sadly I feel more attached to UW than I do to my own college from a pure school spirit standpoint.

Sports I believe is a major part of creating a bond between a college and it's student body, if you talk to a WSU grad they truly bleed crimson and grey. Same story goes for UW graduates, I feel that I was somewhat robbed of a huge college experience because their is no football games to go to, the basketball games yeah they are there but (coming from a marketing major) they do a piss poor job of letting the student body know when they are, how much they cost and who they play.

In order for Western to take that next step in alumni donations they need to create that bond, I think a huge appeal of Western to most students that attend is the fact that they don't have a "Greek" system, that's fine but why not have some other ways for students to connect with the university. Donations from Alumni would come back ten fold if they could create that bond that just simply doesn't happen.

Moral of the Story:
"A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall." Frank Leahy

No comments:

Post a Comment