Thursday, February 17, 2011

Superstitions

Superstitions

Back in the day I played a lot of golf, I feel that this plays a large part in how superstitious I am when it comes to sports today. Now I'm not the kind of guy who wont wash anything while on a winning streak, but I do repeat behaviors while seeing success in sports. During flag football intermurals I wore the same shirt all season (because we didn't lose until the playoffs) I did wash it weekly. During basketball season while I'm coaching if my team wins one game in a gym i will fight to stay on that side of the court (for my bench) for the next game.

Here is how out of control my superstitions have become as of late. In Leavenworth we were playing great and here is a list of my superstitions for that tournament (and continued into next weekend):
  • Stand at the top of the key during warm ups
  • Wear my track jacket until warm ups is over and then not again until the second half
  • Crack open a monster at the tip off
  • Chew gum in the second half
  • Sit at the end of the bench
This is how out of control my superstitions have become, it's borderline OCD. But if we continue to win I will continue to do it. I don't feel anxiety if I don't do these things, maybe its just the little things i feel i can control!?

Moral of the Story:
“The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses.” - Francis Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment